ADDRESS BY THE CHAIRMAN, PROFESSOR ABDUR RASHEED KOLA OJIKUTU AT THE INAUGURAL MEETING OF THE 12TH GOVERNING COUNCIL OF THE LAGOS STATE POLYTECHNIC (LASPOTECH) ON FRIDAY AUGUST 28, 2020.
Distinguish members of the 12th Governing Council of the Lagos State Polytechnic, kindly recall that early this week at the Lagos State House in Alausa, IKEJA, the Governor of Lagos, Mr Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu inaugurated this council with a strong mandate that we should ensure that at the expiration of our tenure, we leave the institution better than we met it. This, in my candid opinion is the minimum that the Governor should expect from us because we should strive to give our best.
It is in this regard that I have decided to address you this morning. Let, me begin this address by welcoming you most passionately to the inaugural meeting of the 12th Governing Council of this great institution. I pray that all of us without exception shall complete, successfully, the journey we are starting today.
Permit me to rest this address on the shoulder of the adage of our forefathers who say “Agbado jina
Ko l’ayo ninu, bi ise se nbe l’owo ni ise nbe l’enu”. This adage simply epitomizes the enormous task before all of us and the need to ensure that we discharge the duties confronting us with seriousness, efficiency and purposefulness. I do pray that it shall be well with LASPOTECH, It shall be well with Lagos State and it shall be well with Nigeria.
Today, on the streets of Lagos State, the Polytechnic is noted for rancor, disharmony and disquiet. This is antithetical to academic progress and development. Therefore, our first assignment is to rebrand the school in such a way that it would regain its lost glory and make it a citadel of learning noted for greatness,invention,scholarship and leadership in all its chosen endeavors. However, you will agree with me that these feats are only achievable in an atmosphere where justice, fairness, equity and love are allowed to prevail. Let us stamp and institutionalize these peace engendering qualities in the environment of Lagos State Polytechnic.
In Lagos State Polytechnic, we shall work and operate by the rule of law and avoid impunity, authoritarianism and despotic behavior and tendencies. We shall be fair to all and sundry and encourage everybody to contribute his/her best quota to the development of the environment.
Ladies and gentlemen in the next four years, this 12th Governing Council, shall focus on those areas that will promote LASPOTECH to the forefront amongst its peers in Nigeria in particular and the world in general. Although, we are not going to be limited by the following items but the Lagos State Polytechnic Governing Council shall focus on policies that will:
- make the institution number one in Nigeria by ensuring promotion of scholarship and excellence
- promote and encourage entrepreneurial and entrepreneurial programmes for the benefit of students and staff
- make LASPOTECH visible and have great impact in its surrounding through extension of its knowledge and competences to its immediate environment by tying the town and gown together.
- remove all abandoned projects and buildings from the campus
- develop in- campus residence for staff and students. This might entail encouragement of private sector participation.
- turn the polytechnic to a Polytechnic University without staff and students losing their status.
- strengthen and develop Open and Distance Learning (ODL) programmes to make people who cannot come to the campus benefit from the products offered by the school
- ensure that students are the center- piece of all activities.
- make all programmes relevant to societal needs and aspirations
- create a patenting unit that will promote research, innovation and discoveries of staff and students and offer them to the larger society for its benefits
These among others are the activities that we shall pursue vigorously in the next four years.
I must mention here that a list of this magnitude and dimension can give a sitting Rector a goose pimple particularly when he thinks that the Council is trying to usurp his statutory responsibilities. I assure the school management that we are not trying to get involved in the minutes to minute running of the affairs of LASPOTECH. Our duty is to evolve policy, your job is to execute them.
My very dear colleagues in the 12th Governing Council, this list is not exhaustive as everybody is enjoined to add his/ her own to it. However, the crux of the matter is that the goal post is set for all players to play. Let everybody juggle the ball according to his endowed skill and competence for the benefit of the Lagos State Polytechnic.
God bless Lagos State Polytechnic
God bless Lagos State,
God bless Nigeria.