The Lagos State College of Science and Technology (now known as Lagos State Polytechnic) was established with the promulgation of Lagos State Edict No. 1 of 1978 with retroactive effect from June 1, 1977.
The Institution commenced classes in January, 1978 at a temporary site (now the Isolo Campus) with five Departments namely, Accountancy and Finance, Management and Business Studies, Insurance, Secretarial Studies and Basic Studies. The later offered GCE ‘A’ Level courses in the Arts and Sciences.
On August 1, 1978, the School of Agriculture in Ikorodu was merged with the Institution and it became the nucleus of the present –day permanent site at Ikorodu.
In 1988 and after 10years of existence, Lagos State Government changed the name of the Institution from Lagos State College of Science and technology, (LACOSTEC) to Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH).
In the late 1970s, the Lagos State Government acquired 400 hectares of land at Ikosi village adjacent to the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, which was proposed for development as the permanent site of the Institution.
However, with the encroachment on the Ikosi land, its development into the permanent site no longer became visible and the State Government had to decide in favour of Ikorodu as the permanent site of the Institution in 1985.
The seat of the polytechnic Administration hitherto located at Isolo Campus since inception of Institution relocated to the permanent site at Ikorodu in May 2000.
The Polytechnic currently has staff strength of 808 with 56 accredited programmes across the various Schools.
The Polytechnic runs a portal (EDUPORTAL) on its website – www.mylaspotech.edu.ng. The portal is currently used to process admission and registration of full-time students and students of School of Part-Time Studies. Plans are on to make the portal more robust to enable checking of examination results, issuance of letters of completion and transcripts, e-learning, access to an e-library, dissemination of campus information and incredible development of Information and Communication Technology.
It is appropriate to mention here that the Institution, which began lectures in 1978 with 287 pioneer students currently, has about 50,000 full-time and part-time students spread among the following six schools; with their component departments.
The Polytechnic presently operates on three Campuses namely Isolo, Surulere and Ikorodu. The latter serves as the permanent site of the Institution, Ikosi Campus having extinct.
- School of Management and Business Studies
- Department of Accountancy
- Department of Banking and Finance
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of General Studies
- Department of Insurance
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Mass Communication
- Department of Secretarial Studies
- School of Agriculture
- Department of Agricultural Technology
- Department of Animal Production and Fisheries
- Department of Agricultural Extension and Management
- School of Technology
- Department of Science and Laboratory Technology
- Department of Food Technology
- Department of Hotel and Catering Management
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Mathematics
- School of Engineering
- Department of Agricultural Engineering Technology
- Department of Chemical Engineering Technology
- Department of Civil Engineering Technology
- Department of Computer Engineering Technology
- Department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology
- School of Environmental Studies
- Department of Architectural Technology
- Department of Art & Industrial Design
- Department of Building Technology
- Department of Quantity Surveying
- Department of Town and Regional Planning
- Department of Estate Management
- School of Applied Sciences
- Science Laboratory Department
7. School Liberal and Communication Studies
- Department of Mass Communication
8. School of Part-Time Studies – Weekdays programmes at Surulere and the School of weekend programmes only at Ikorodu and Isolo campuses in Management and Business Studies, Engineering, technology and Environmental Studies.
The Polytechnic also has the following as part of its operations:
- LASPOTECH KONSULT – this is the consultancy arm of the School.
- LASPOTECH Farms – this is run as a commercial farm and equally charged with the responsibility of training students.
- DIRECTORATE OF ACADEMIC PLANNING – this is in charge of processing students’ results, planning, quality control, research and development activities and accreditation of programmes.
- DIRECTORATE OF WORKS AND SERVICES – this Unit is responsible for maintenance of the physical assets of the Polytechnic.
- LASPOTECH GUEST HOUSES – this provides accommodation and recreational facilities to guests/tourists and also offers facilities for the training of students in Hotel and Catering Management.
- LASPOTECH Staff Nursery and Primary School
- LASPOTECH Staff International Secondary School